Peel Beans quickly with these easy steps
Beans is a large part of Nigerian cuisine. You can find beans in plenty of dishes like moin moin (steamed bean cake), akara (fried bean fritters) or simple stewed beans. Beans are so versatile and its amazing how many countries in West Africa use beans in their dishes.
As a Nigerian, I grew up peeling beans especially during the month of Ramadan. Moin moin and akara were and still is my family's favorite way of breaking our fast. Over the years, we've found ways to simplify the way we peel skin quickly.
Why Peel Skin Off Beans?
The reason to peel the skin off the beans vary. One of the popular reason is that it creates a smoother texture for the dish that you're making. Moin moin, is such a velvety dish, depending on the technique, moin moin can melt in your mouth. When you remove the skins, you're let with just the inside of the bean that helps the blending process. Though some people encourage you to keep the skins on for fiber.
Another reason for peeling beans that isn't widely known is its health benefits. Beans tend to make people gassy and bloated. This is because the body can find it difficult to digest the beans. The beans are difficult to break down. There are research studies that conclude that soaking and removing the skins from beans reduces antinutrient factors like flatulence and toxic lectins.
Though I focus on honey beans within this blog post, you can easily peel beans off chickpeas, red kidney, black-eyed beans, fava beans, and any dry bean that you wish to use.
Freeze excess beans for future use.
Check out Other Nigerian Recipes Here
- Honey Beans or Black-Eyed Beans
- Boiling Water
- Pick through beans to remove debris or rocks
- Pour hot water over the beans and let sit for 5 mins
- In batches, add the beans and water to blender and pulse for 7-10
- Pour beans into a large bowl and start rubbing the beans in between your hands - in a prayer hand position
- The skin will naturally fall off, pour out the water with the excess skin
- Refill the water and continue to rub to remove excess skin, repeat this step until the majority of the skin falls off
Store in the freezer for quick dishes like akara or moin moin