Enjoy this quick Liberian Vegan Potato Greens Dish
Vegan Potato Greens with Mushrooms are often not associated with the traditional Liberian dish. The original dish is often loaded with thick pieces of tender meat and fish, hardly do you see it made with mushrooms. Potato greens are made from the leaves of the sweet potato plant. For the longest time, I could not find a place in NYC to buy this product, that was not until I began to notice the shape of these leaves in the Asian food stores that I frequented.
Still, Potato or Yam leaves are not popular greens that you'd find in the supermarket. It's usually specific to Asian and South American. Or African Markets, but those are usually frozen.
Potato greens are also called Yam leaves and actually yield more search results. Yam leaves contain vitamins A and C, riboflavin, fiber, and iron.
My favorite store to go to in the Bronx is Chang Li Supermarket. The supermarket has a blend of food from all different nationalities. I've been going here even before going plant based. The price for a pack of greens varies, however I want to say that I usually buy 2 densely packed bags for about 2.49/lb. I tend to spend $10 to make enough to freeze and last me weeks.
Potato greens are not as metallic tasting as spinach is. When cooked right, it has a slippery taste and distinct flavor. I enjoy eating this with rice or quinoa. I usually start off my stews with my quick and easy homemade vegetable stock. This works as a duel purpose because you're able to create.
Vegan Potato/Yam Greens With MushroomsCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Medium
2 bags of potato/yam greens
1 cup of veggies stock (see my vegetable recipe)
2 cups of stock vegetables (see my vegetable recipe)
1 tsp of baking powder
1 cup of vegetable oil
2-3 tablespoons of Lawrys
Salt to taste
- Pull the leaves off the stems. I find that the stems to be chewy and too rigid to swallow.
- Rinse the leaves to remove dirt and debris.
- Crucial: Add the baking powder and rub and squeeze the greens together, almost as if you are washing clothes. Rigorously squeeze and rub against the palm of your hand until the greens are darker and wilted.
- Heat a heavy based pot on medium to high heat and then add oil until hot.
- Once hot, add the vegetables and fry for about 3 minutes, stirring
- Add the leaves by the fistfuls. Avoid dumping everything with the water.
- Stir and fry for another 2 minutes. Lower heat and then cover for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add stock, then seasonings
- Let cook for another 15-20 minutes. Serve with rice or quinoa.
- Make sure to check out my vegetable broth recipe, it pairs perfectly for this meal.
I hope you enjoyed this vegan potato greens with mushrooms recipe, if you do recreate, please tag me for a repost. Enjoy!