A slight change to the Traditional Liberian dish with affordability
Okra is a common dish in West Africa - actually perhaps all of Africa and even Asia. However I wanted to come to you with a recipe I've come to pick up on since beginning to date a Liberian. I first had this dish when I went over to meet my boyfriends mum over in Iowa - and boy was I in love! I love it so much I watched her create the dish and wrote out the recipe.
Growing up okra soup was a simple steamed pot of blended okra. This is usually eaten with a swallow or fufu. However this dish will liven up as a sort of gumbo as you can add mushrooms, peppers and more. She loves to use fresh okra chopped into bits of 4's. I like to use a fresh bag of Regal Nonpareil frozen okra and chop them up into quarters. Either way works tho if you have time to chop the fresher version - its worth the effort!
Liberian Okra soup is no different from alesepo, a Nigerian Okra dish. It really depends on your style and technique. Vegan Liberian Okra soup is also no different from meat stew. Mushrooms I feel gives a dish a nice depth of flavor to a dish, umami if you please.
Frozen okra is about $2.50 a pack and can last you a while.
Liberian Okra Stew
- 2 lbs of Chopped Okra
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 5 oz of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 2 habanero peppers
- 1 cup of oil
- 1 cup of water (adjust for consistency)
- Morton season salt (to taste)
- 1 Vegetarian maggie cube
- Cook onions, peppers, mushrooms and potatoes in a large pot with water with seasonings for 10 minutes.
- Remove veggies and stock into a separate bowl. Reheat the pot with the oil and let heat on low heat
- Add the okra and cook on high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in veggies and stock, and bring to a boil. Adjust seasoning to taste
- Reduce heat to low and allow the okra to cook for another 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve your stew with swallow like eba or fufu. You can also enjoy it with rice. Let me know what you enjoy eating your swallow with below 🙂