Easy Vegan Empanadas ready in 20 mins
ToolsJump to Recipe
I grew up in The Bronx and I can't tell you how many times I used to purchase this on a weekend to eat for breakfast when I couldn't be bothered to cook it. My first time having this was at my BFFs house. She made hers with ground beef and a ¼ slice of American cheese. I was amazed by what I imagined to be strenuous, like a Nigerian meat pie, could be so easy.
I was thrilled to discover the Beyond Meat Blocks a couple of years back because I knew that the number of things that I could do with it would be limitless (for the most part).
I've made meatballs and burgers with these so far. I like the Beyond Meat blocks because I feel like you can make your dollar go far.
People rave over empanadas especially when they're from Empanada Mama in NYC. Though empanadas are originally from Spain, South Americans have made these savory turnovers their very own.
A bit further up in the Caribbean, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans make this dish using pastry dough. You can easily find these pastry disks in the frozen food aisle.
You can make your vegan empanadas with any veggies or faux meat you want. Your options are endless. Serve alone, or with a refreshing drink like my Zobo Soda.
My Visual Chefs
Gather Your Ingredients
Gather you ingredients
Chop up your garlic, mushrooms and onions
Set a pan to medium heat and fry your veggies, 1 tbs of oil is fine but note that the Beyond Meat mimics fat from beef. Add your seasonings.
Spoon and Press
Scoop the "meat" into the pastry 1 tablespoon at a time. You don't want this to overflow. Fold over the pastry and use a fork to press the edges together.
In a pan with hot oil (medium heat), place the pastelles and let fry for 2-3 minutes, flip and let the other side fry. Let the oil drain on a paper towel.
Easy Dominican Pastelito/ Vegan Empanada with Beyond MeatCourse: AppetizersCuisine: DomincanDifficulty: Easy
The perfect appetizer
½ a small onion (or less)
3 shiitake mushrooms, minced (bella mushrooms work too)
1 clove of garlic
1 pack of 10 Goya Discos
¼ lb of Ground Beyond Meat Block
2 tbs of ketchup
1 tsp of oregano
Salt to taste
2 cups of oil, more or less depending on the pan/pot
- Chop your mushrooms, onions, and garlic
- In a medium pan heat 1 tbs of vegetable oil, then add in your chopped veggies
- Crumble in your Beyond Meat beef and let fry until it starts to brown
- Add ketchup, oregano - add salt to taste, remove "beef" from heat
- Remove your pastry disk one at a time and spoon your "beef" into the center of your pastry
- Fold over and use a fork to press, firmly, the edges together
- Heat a heavy-based pan or wide pot with oil over medium heat
- Gently place the folded and press pastelles into the pan and fry on each side for about 2-3 mins.
- Serve with Mayo Ketchup - equal parts mayo and ketchup